- GlobalTech Plastics was an additive manufacturer moving towards an Industry 4.0 platform. They were a leader in the injection molding of Engineered plastics. They produced close tolerance parts for regulated industries such as Aerospace, Transportation, and Healthcare.
- The company was founded in 2003 by three technology-forward industry veterans who invested in systems and technology befitting a company three times their size. This made them a leader in the adoption of technology, robotics, and automation as well as real-time production monitoring.
- Their goal for an exit was to seek liquidity. This would allow two of the three founders to retire. The third founder would be able to roll some equity and remain in the company to take part in a “second bite of the apple.”
- The challenge Merit Investment Bank faced was to prove that the company could be a platform acquisition or an add-on acquisition for a larger strategic acquirer. GlobalTech was on the smaller side for a platform but possessed all the systems and processes to scale rapidly into a platform scale. It is uniquely challenging to satisfy the interests of all shareholders as well as find a buyer comfortable with allowing shareholders and key management to exit the business immediately after the sale.
- The Merit Investment Bank team marketed the opportunity broadly to both plastics and rubber manufacturers, both strategic and sponsor-backed (financial) acquirers seek to find the best fit for the shareholders to meet their objectives.
- During the early stages of the engagement, the Merit Investment Bank team guided the GlobalTech owners through strategic decision-making to ensure they were well-positioned for a sale. One of the key deliverables was to ensure key stakeholders in the process were well informed about the process and their role. As a result, the company was well-positioned for the best available offer.
- As a result, the company received several offers. One of the offers hit the trifecta of M&A: (1) Best price, (2) best culture, and (3) expertise fit. Not only this, but it also met all the shareholders' personal objectives of a full exit and future participation for the one remaining shareholder.
- In the end, the deal had a few challenges getting across the finish line but through patience, persistence, and deft negotiations the Merit Investment Bank team brought another deal in advanced manufacturing to a closing. The company now sits as what we call a “platform within a platform” as it was acquired by a rubber company seeking to build its presence in plastics and leverage cross-selling opportunities in both rubber and plastics.
Learn how we can help you
What our clients are saying
Meet Our Clients
"The team at Merit Investment Bank works hard and puts in a lot of time and energy. And because of that, they're talking to people with a lot more sincerity than just putting out a deck. They went deeper and not only understood our strategy, but they understood how to pitch the right strategy to the folks on the other end of the transaction. They explained our business so a potential suitor understood how it could be integrated into their business.
Merit Investment Bank thought of a more strategic transaction and they built a better story. It's what's created more offers and what made the offers higher."
"Merit Investment Bank not only did everything they promised, they provided significant strategic guidance required to help us navigate the path of getting this transaction across the finish line. Their patience, tenacity, and professionalism when things got tough was the difference in completing this transaction for us."
“I greatly appreciated Merit Investment Bank’s expertise and guidance throughout this process and appreciated, even more, their attention to the intangible things that were important to me and my company beyond just getting a deal done.”
“I enjoyed working with Merit Investment Bank—they made an enormous contribution in such a complex but successful transaction. I would be happy for the chance to give a reference in the future for what a great job they did!”
"I wanted to work with an Investment Banking firm that was going to be able to understand our business, get to know me and my team, and then not only help us secure the investor, but help us find the right investor because they understood what we really needed. We got that and more with Merit Investment Bank. Their strategic guidance, patience, and diligence were critical in getting this transaction finished, and was the difference maker in this process.”
"We are thrilled with the outcome Merit Investment Bank delivered for our family through the sale of the business. With their guidance, we were able to unlock significant shareholder liquidity while positioning the employees of the company for continued success within a growing platform.”
"We hired Merit Investment Bank over other investment bankers because of the responsiveness to our questions, aggressive approach to winning, persistence in following-up, and the many creative ideas the team presented. Merit Investment Bank added significant value beyond just running a process."
"Unlike many investment banks I've worked with during my career, Merit Investment Bank was attentive at all stages of our transaction, which really made a difference in achieving a great outcome."
“Through the broad auction, Merit Investment Bank got us another 75% above the offers that originally came in. We still have a piece of the company and I’m still able to run it. I feel good that our key employees are going to be secure in the future. It’s a win-win for everybody.”
"The team at Merit Investment Bank have provided invaluable assistance in stabilizing and growing my company. They’ve helped with both short-term challenges and long-term planning. Their experience running multiple businesses like mine and vast network of contacts have brought value to my company and to me personally. If you want help taking your business to the next level, I highly recommend Merit Investment Bank."
"As a business/transactional attorney, I have had the opportunity to work with many investment bankers in the M&A arena. The Merit Investment Bank team is, without question, the best in the local middle-market space. They make clients feel comfortable by both listening to and provide thoughtful advice for legal counsel. Most importantly, they are able to negotiate a great deal.
Quite refreshingly, Merit Investment Bank puts the needs of the client above closing a deal – something very rare in the M&A world. I give my highest possible recommendation to the Merit Investment Bank team."
"The Merit Investment Bank team has provided my company with professionalism and valuable counsel on multiple transactions. They listened to our needs, and as business operators themselves, they understood the opportunities open to us and the challenges we faced to grow. They fought hard for us at every stage. We would absolutely look to them for our future investment banking needs."
“The Merit Investment Bank team has extensive M&A and capital-raising experience in the middle market, both as investment bankers and entrepreneurs. They are great to have on an engagement team and are committed to helping clients succeed, whether buying or selling a business or sourcing capital to scale a growing business.”
"The Merit Investment Bank team was invaluable in several transactions involving a niche consumer products company where I served as CEO. The Merit Investment Bank team is talented, well-disciplined, and rolls up their sleeves to work alongside management to get the work done. With their controlled approach, management can continue to focus on the business for the benefit of all involved. I certainly would recommend Merit Investment Bank and will choose to work with them again.”